Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Venice IS breathtaking, but don’t eat bread in front of poor people, please.

Venice is a walking city; full of such beauty the air seems romantic. I took advantage of the exercise, and had an unconventional trip that lacked amore, but was filled with inspiration. Looking around the piazzas you find everyone with a map in hand attempting to navigate the narrow passages and canal crossings. I opted to abandon the guide and just roam, discovering empty churches and neighborhoods filled with locals during my daily expeditions. My visit was during the 53rd International Biennale, and I often ran into exhibits outside of the main museums that I would not have found otherwise because of this wanderlust. This escape from the crows of tourists surrounding the main attractions was enjoyable.

The biennale gave opportunity to remove your self from the picture takers and smoochers of the city, providing space to reflect. Every two years popular contemporary artists are represented by country throughout the city, with a larger themed exhibit, this year titled Making Worlds, showcasing pieces collectively at the Giardidni, and Arsenale. The contrast of contemporary art and classic architecture, painting, and sculpture gave balance to

the spaces. This unusual presentation brought new life to the frescoes and rooms that hadn’t been inhabited in ages. It was really an experience beyond just entering a museum that unveiled alternative approach to observing art, and allowed you visualize the dramatic differences in style and thought throughout the ages.

I enjoy contemporary art, but now know quickly what I like and dislike. For example, I liked this lengthy title more that the installation itself:

Take this dagger, open my veins, I want to bleed until I die, I don’t want life if I have to see your aloofness, since with out your love it’s not worth it!

Bernardita Rakos, Venezuela, 2009

Everyone has different tastes, and you are bound to enjoy something at the biennale!

I did not eat much food in Venice, but could not resist So’Frito. In the states we have taco trucks, but fish ships? I had to try it. For a hefty14 euro, a lovely woman (in proper yachting attire) serves fresh fish fried to order and a small bottle of procescco. The fish was delicious and fresh chunks of polenta complemented the mix of sardines, calamari, and shrimps perfectly. I indulged but it was well worth it.


I happened upon the finish line of the Venice Marathon after lunch. The energy filled me with emotion having felt the adrenaline before personally when I ran half of the Mardi Gras Marathon, knowing that intense feeling as you cross the finish line. I burst into tears of joy as I wandered through the crowds of spectators. Was it the race? Did the processecco go straight to my head? Or did I just finally realize I was in Italy and made it to Venice?

Wit this said, I left many sights unseen, guess I must return once I fall in love.

XOXO

I became a master at taking fast photos since my camera was not co-operating. This new-style of snapping is reflected in the album…enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=120303

Artworld magazine gives a good breakdown of the festival, with recommendations and maps. Here is their site: http://www.artworldvenice.com/

If you have a few days for art, I recommend getting a map of the Exhibitions and viewing:

The Giardini (it is giant, be warned!): RUSSIA, Brazil, Egypt,

The entire Arsenale (especially ITALY!)

Danger Museum

Iceland/Singapore

Making Perfect World

Distortion Library

Unconditional Love

The Library at the Foundazine Querini Stampalia

No comments:

The Daily Green News Feed